Facility Management is the integration, control, and supervision of multi-disciplinary activities within the built environment and management of their impact upon people and the work place or dwelling.
It involves the day to day control and administration by the Facility manager, the activities of professionals and support staff to ensure the functionality and smooth running of facility and support services installed for a pleasing and conducive working environment or dwelling and to achieve certain predetermined goals or objectives.
Activities involved in facilities management include:
- Maintenance of fire fighting equipment and installations including regular replacement of non functional and/or obsolete fire extinguishers;
- Cleaning and polishing of staircase and other common parts including periodic painting and redecoration;
- Maintenance and repair of stand-by- generating plants;
- Maintenance and clearing of swimming pool;
- Payment of electricity bills accruing on meters feeding the common parts including staircase areas after ascertaining validity and appropriation;
- Service charge apportionment and administration.
- Dislodgement of sewage system; and Employment and supervision of estate staff to undertake cleaning of common areas, maintenance/repairs of electrical fittings and installations, maintenance/repairs of plumbing fittings and installations, etc.